2008/02/10

Woken Up This Morning...

Ya, this morning... at 9:37 AM, I was awoken by a new thing...




An earthquake! Magnitude 2-3.
My first earthquake :).
At first, since I was like, sleeping... I thought I was shaking (like, my muscles were moving)... but I soon figured thats not right...

Now, mag 2-3 isn't much. But this is how it felt...
It felt like someone was at the end of my bed moving it back and forth lightly at a rate of maybe 2 shakes per second. Apparently, thats very fast. This earthquake actually originated waaay down off the south coast of Chiba... as a mag 5 earthquake. Glad I wasn't there :). For your info... that is over 100 kilometers away... and we could (and Tokyo too) still feel it easily :). It's AMAZING to think that over 200 kilometers north, south, west, and east of that quake, ALL the ground plus kilometers below the ground, plus ALL the water in the ocean there, is shaking and moving all at once. MANY MANY quadrillions of tonnes of stuff moving... it's kinda rediculous...

Also, to continue with the unnatural natural events of today :)... I could see Mt Fuji VERY VERY clearly from my house today... Thats like... 140 kilometers away... even more crazy, and I've never even seen this from TOKYO, is that you could see the stretch of land that shoots out from Japan south-east of Mt. Fuji. Those mountains are even further away... All this, and it was at Sundown :) I'm kinda annoyed I didn't look earlier in the day when I REALLY could have seen everything.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

We lived right by the San Andreas fault in California for three and a half years. There was an earthquake right before we arrived (we had to straighten the hanging pictures in the "corporate housing" suite we were placed in when we first arrived), and there was one in California when we were on holidays back in BC one year. Did not once experience an earthquake there! A year after we moved back to Vancouver, Seattle had its 6.8, and our leaky, wood-frame condo was swaying.

I'm pretty conscious of all that geological movement--scary and beautiful! Glad you weren't shaken up too much.

Auntie M.

Kristyn said...

w00t! Earthquake! I'm glad you're okay though, and that you actually got to feel it. The one time there was one here I didn't get to because my class was in gym and we were all bouncing basketballs.....the lampposts were swaying and everything too...
oh well, eqs are pretty cool, then again, I always loved geology. lol